Comunicado de Imprensa do EURAF: Os incêndios de Portugal não são inevitáveis
EURAF Press Release: Portugal’s fires are not inevitable
Agroforestry in the new Portuguese Rural Development Plan(2014-2020)
By Josep Crous Duran, Joana Amaral Paulo, João HN Palma
The implementation of article 44 of the EU Regulation 1698/2005was transposed into the Portuguese law during the period 2007-2013.Although these effortshave taken Portugal to a leading position on this transpositionat anEuropean level, the expected increase of the Agroforest area in the country was not achieved. Reasons concerning this low success have been analyzedby EURAF and an audience was asked to the thePortuguese Ministry of Agriculture, Sea, Environment and Land Planning (MAMAOT) in March 2013. On the 5th of April 2013, EURAF had a meeting in MAMAOT with interpretations of the current legislation and identification of possible of obstaclesfor the unsuccessful measure in order to adjust it to improve the implementation of new agroforestry systems during the time of preparation of the new rural development plan.The meeting seemed to be constructive. EURAF resumed the meeting discussing points and sent to MAMAOT again. No further questions were made.
The transposition of the EU Regulation1307/2013 into the PortugueseRural Development Plan is under process and a preliminary version submitted to Brussels has been released. This version is explicit concerning a direct reference to the implementation of the article 23 supporting the establishment of agroforestry systems and includes a specific “Action”for their support.
The current version of the Portuguese RDP, includes a similar measure (now called Operation 8.1.2) for the installation of Agroforestry areas. Some important differences have been included that may contribute to increase the adoption and installation of new agroforestry systems by farmers:
- Measure 220.127.116.11 from the previousRDPincluded both support to forestation of agricultural and non-agriculturalland, as well as support for the installation of agroforestryareas. The current RDP distinguishesthesetwo types of supports, and operation 8.1.2 is exclusivelydedicated to the installation of agroforestryareas.
- Operation 8.1.2 includes 80% support to farmers, instead of the 50% value from the previous RDP
- Minimum area allowed for applying for support was reduced from 5 hectares to 0,5 hectares. This value is important since around 75% of Portuguese farms have less then 5ha (corresponding to 11% ofUtilised Agricultural Area).
- The definition of agroforestry system maintains the limit of 250 tree/ha, in accordance to EU recommendations made at the final version of the Measure Fiche related to Article 23 “Establishment of agroforestry systems” (2nd pillar of the new CAP)
- Other operations regarding knowledge transfer at national and international level have been presented, and may allow for the dissemination of knowledge between countries. This may help the recognition and dissemination of new agroforestry systems in Portugal (for instance alley cropping etc) and the use of other species.
Two main concerns still persist:
- The existence of a forest management plan is still compulsory, referring minimum of 25 ha and to the Regional Forest Territorial Plan (PROF). Therefore some inconsistency prevails on the minimum area.
- It is still not clear if maintenance support will continue to be incompatible with Single Farm Payment.
A non-officialtranslationof the Operation 8.1.2 of new Portuguese RDP into English is presented below.Nevertheless a version of the documentof the 5th May2014 is available online (in Portuguese): http://www.gpp.pt/pdr2020/index.html
Operação 8.1.2 -Instalação de Sistemas Agroflorestais
Código CE8.2 -Apoio aos custos de implantação/manutenção de sistemas agroflorestais
DESCRIÇÃO DA OPERAÇÃO
Promover a criação de sistemas agroflorestais, nomeadamente montados, sistemas quecombinam a silvicultura com práticas de agricultura extensiva, reconhecidos pela sua importância para a manutenção da biodiversidade e pela sua adaptação às áreas com elevada suscetibilidade à desertificação.
TIPO DE APOIO
Detentores privados, municípios ou suas organizações, de terras agrícolas e não agrícolas.
CONDIÇÕES DE ACESSO
CRITÉRIOS DE SELEÇÃO
NÍVEIS E TAXAS DE APOIO
INFORMAÇÃO ESPECÍFICA DA OPERAÇÃO
Lista de espécies elegíveis para instalação de sistemas agroflorestais:
Definição de sistema agroflorestal – superfícies que combinam agricultura com espécies arbóreas na mesma área e cuja densidade do arvoredo não ultrapasse 250 árvores por ha nem seja inferior a 80 no caso das folhosas e do pinheiro manso e 150 árvores/ha, no caso das restantes espécies.
English Version (non official)Translators: Crous-Duran J, Paulo JA,Palma JHN
Operation 8.1.2 -Establishmentof Agroforestry Systems
CE Code8.2 -Support at installation/maintenance costs of Agroforestry Systems
DESCRIPTION OF THE OPERATION
To promote the implementation of Agroforestry Systems, particularly montados, systems combining silviculture with extensive agricultural practices, known for their importance for the preservation of biodiversity and for their adaptability in areas with high risk of desertification.
TYPE OF SUPPORT
Private owners, local councils and related organizations, of arable and non-arable land.
LEVEL AND SUPPORT
SPECIFIC INFORMATION ON THE OPERATION
List of eligible species for the implementation of agroforestry systems:
Agroforestry system definition –surfaces combining, within the same area, agriculture and tree species, where density of trees respects the following limits: under 250 trees/ha and above 80 trees/ha in the case of hardwoods and stone pine and under 150 trees /ha in the case of the remaining species.