In Horizon 2020 Open Access to Scientific Peer Reviewed Publications has been anchored as an ‘underlying principle’, which means that it has become obligatory for all projects.
- Open access to scientific peer reviewed publications in Horizon 2020
- The EC Guidelines on Open Access to Scientific Publications and Research Data in Horizon 2020 Version 3.1, 25 August 2016
- Open Access Guidelines for research results funded by the ERC (revised December 2014)
- More information can be found in the ‘Regulation and the Rules of Participation’ as well as through the relevant provisions in the grant agreement (see Article 29 "Dissemination of results - Open Access - Visibility of EU funding"of the Multi-beneficiary General Model Grant Agreement, July 20, 2016, pp. 66-69) as well as exceptions for confidentiality (Article 36), security (Article 37), personal data (Article 39).
- A short summary : Factsheet on Open Access
In FP7, there was an Open Access Pilot for publications, applicable for approximately 20 % of the budget and in 7 dedicated research areas. During the run of FP7, the European Commission had two policies on open access in practice, the EC Open Access Pilot and the ERC guidelines for Open Access. These initiatives require that the researcher provides open access to articles resulting from EC funded research, within a specified time period.